~*Tinkerbelle*~ STOP THE TRAFFIK

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Farewell Little Blue Meanie

Tomorrow will be a sad day and the end of a journey. Tomorrow I will say goodbye to my first car, a little Daihatsu Charade Hatchback named the Blue Meanie.

The first time i sat myself in the little Blue Meanie was in the year 1999. I'd only ever use it to go to my first ever job - McDonalds. It was a half an hour trip and so the little Blue Meanie and I would trek there and back whenever i had a shift.

I guess all the problems with our relationship started happening in 2000. It being my first car and everything, i wasn't aware that the poor dear needed to be changed of oil and water every now and then and that the levels needed regular updating which is why oil went through my radiator and my engine, blowing gaskets and you name it. That wasn't a good thing apparently! So it was sick for a while until a reconditioned engine was put in and it was purring like a cat again. WASTE OF MONEY!!! But i was very grateful to my parents as they paid for it and i didn't want to see my baby die just yet.

After it had that major work, traces of oil could still be found in parts but the mechanic said he did his best to flush it of oil, that's how much of it there was.

In 2001, my little Blue Meanie delivered me from the wild scrub to the big smoke where i was to live from then til the present. So you can imagine it did some pretty long trips.

Many minor things went went wrong with my little Blue Meanie over time but nothing major. It was one of those cars that seemed more appropriate to wind the windows down than crank the air con.

Towards the end of 2002/start of 2003 my little Blue Meanie decided to give up completely. Often i'd make frequent trips back to the Southern Highlands for various visits to friends places. On one trip i noticed (and this is what i'm positive i saw!) that there was an orange flame coming out of my exhaust as i pushed the Blue Meanie up a hill. I got terrified that if someone were to throw their cigerrette butt out the window i would go up in flames that's how bad it started getting!!!

One day in 2003 on the way to church, i was sitting at a set of lights and by this stage it would expel alot of black smoke upon acceleration, and some cops were sitting behind me. Unfortunately, if it hadn't turned red, i would've been fine. But coming to a complete stop meant that upon take off, the cops would....well, cop...a lot of black smoke. So on went their siren and over to the side i was ordered to pull. There they let me off with a warning to have my car looked at by a mechanic and i, very willingly, obliged. Upon take off and further inspection of my car they again pulled me over - all this on a sunday morning where i was metres away from my church building! - they decided that my car would have a defect notice stamped on it and that i was not to drive it on the road except to a mechanic where it would get fixed.

UNROADWORTHY?????

Great! This was just what i needed! So i took it to be serviced only to hear that my gear box and engine had well and truly died so badly that the mechanic refused to do work on it as it was a waste of money on my behalf! Yes, very nice and caring and thoughtful of him but what about me?????

So the Blue Meanie and I drove on home. One day i needed desperately to get to Roselands and because it's a shopping centre that's not far from me i decided no-one would notice that i had driven there and back. At this stage, my car not only was dead (pffft not only??) but there was a special way of changing gears to keep my car going. Red lights were not friends with the Blue Meanie!!! So out we trekked. We got through the first set of lights - fine. It was the second set of lights that did the dash! The car stalled and i couldn't for the life of me make the Blue Meanie come back to life - it was really dying and taking its last breath! So in a fit of panic, jumped outta the car left everything still in it, phone, wallet etc, left the doors unlocked and ran across the road - i was hysterical, it was peak hour, my car had a legal defect notice on it and it was sitting stranded at the lights all doors and windows open, this would get me into serious legal trouble if the cops found out!!! I ran into the petrol station and dunno what i asked, perhaps if someone could help me push it??? They all declined so i ran back to my car, so hysterical i couldn't even cry, opened the door and pushed my car to the next set of lights which were red. Can you believe that not one person stopped to help - IN PEAK HOUR?! So as i approached the red light i prayed it would go green because one more stop and i wouldn't be able to get going again and plus, if it went green i could glide down the hill, around the corner and out of sight! IT WENT GREEN!!! So down i went, but you will not believe this, at the bottom just as i neared it, the lights went red!!! aaaarrrrgggghhhhh, how was i ever going to get enough momentum to go around the floppin' corner, especially as it was flat, no hill!!! So i parked my car, jumped out and asked the person behind me to nudge my car around the corner (i figured if my car was dead, it wouldn't mind being pushed from behind with a few scratches) they agreed. The lights went green and....NOTHING.....they kept driving on grrrrrrr, so i got out again, pushed my car around another corner (still no help) and parked there, i'm lucky it was just a small car! I was so hysterical by this stage that my mouth was void of all saliva....i had been forgetting to salivate or even swallow, my lips, my tongue, my gums, all drier than ever!!! So i quickly tried refreshing my mouth and it took quite a lot of swallows to gain normal salivation! I phoned a friend and asked what to do, once she arrived, we phoned another friend and he referred us to a cheap towing service.

A couple of times during my stay around the corner, i saw some cops patrolling the road - phewp, lucky!!! I think i must've been on the radio that day - broken down navy blue daihatsu charade has broken down, delays are occuring along King Georges Road. *Sighs*...

The tow truck towed me home and to this day is where the little Blue Meanie has sat ever since. 8 Months went by before i acquired my current Hyundai Excel - the Black Falcon (another story in itself!). But for 3 years the little Blue Meanie has sat in pain, desolate and alone out the back of my unit.

Today a man came to my door asking if he could purchase my car for wrecking. I said it would be fine. He paid some money. An arrangement was made. And he will be collecting the little Blue Meanie tomorrow afternoon for destruction.

Finally, after5 years of fun and laughter, my little Blue Meanie can be laid to rest.

Farewell Blue Meanie, don't be scared, there will be no more pain and your last dying moments will only last for a few seconds. It has been fun, i will miss you, you have been my first true car and it is with deep sadness that i must say goodbye! I will always remember you.

With fondest car memories
~*Tinkerbelle*~ xoxo

1 Comments:

  • Dear Alisha,

    Your posts are too long.


    That is all,
    Rohan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home