~*Tinkerbelle*~ STOP THE TRAFFIK

Monday, November 10, 2008

Part Three: Alcohol/Partying

The partying thing is not for me. I don’t have really great dance moves and my body doesn’t move the way some people’s bodies do and therefore I just can’t be stuffed with it. Nor am I a conversationalist therefore trying to talk with someone, especially over the loud ooncy ooncy music, and having awkward conversation every 5 seconds isn’t my idea of fun, in fact, it bores me perhaps because I don’t do drugs either!
However, I love a good barbeque where people can chat and mingle or even some karaoke at the local pub/bar. I’m more about having a good time with people rather than trying to impress them.

The alcohol thing is something I’m still trying to figure out. See for me, I don’t have a problem with it. But then again, I also don’t think that being drunk is all it’s cracked up to be, nor do I want to put myself into an altered state of perception like that. I like to be able to make my own decisions and not be so unconscious where you’re open to anything happening to you.

The last time I was drunk was in 2003 and since then, I have decided not to become like that again, just because I don’t want my mind to be open to anything and everything.

I am still a social drinker but have even been questioning this recently. Not that I think alcohol is wrong, but I am constantly around young people.
The message I try to tell young people is ‘don’t drink alcohol at least until you are the legal age to drink’, but if I drink socially, it looks TO THEM like I am saying, ‘you can’t drink, but I can’ and so to avoid any sort of confusion, I’m thinking maybe I should just not drink altogether so I can teach young people about responsible drinking without getting the message confused!

Clear as mud?

I’m still deciding how to approach that one!

I guess I’m definitely NOT a salvo when it comes to alcohol! I respect and completely understand their positional statement on alcohol but it’s not my own personal conviction.

Like drugs, it’s also a substance which your body doesn’t need, and obviously alcohol affects the liver, just as fast food affects your heart so therefore, I believe that drinking in moderation is acceptable. There is no reason to become drunk though. Even if you drink to ‘take away the pain’, your problems will still be there when you sober up! Unless you want to drink yourself to death, which by all means, be my guest, your pain isn’t going to go away, so might as well deal with it sensibly! If you drink to isolate pain, see a counsellor, that’s what they’re there for! And if you’re one of those people that doesn’t know when to stop, then stay away from alcohol altogether – social drinking will never be your thing!

2 Comments:

  • you articulate very well tinks!

    but 5 posts in one day is too much for me to comment on right now

    take care
    k

    By Blogger kylie, at November 10, 2008  

  • you dont have to give up drinking if you want to set a good example, just be sensible. part of the image problem that Christianity faces is the idea that theres no enjoyment in it. it's no good if people think they have to give up every pleasure in life.
    you will make a far more credible mentor if you are a responsible social drinker.
    dont get me wrong, if you really need to give it up then do it! but dont get into some kind of guilt attack or something , it's just not worth it
    i hope all of that makes sense!
    k

    By Blogger kylie, at November 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home